S and S Machine
Bicycle Torque Couplings (BTCs)
Your Travel Bike........Your Only Bike!
Packing an Erickson Tandem
Components used to make disassembly and packing easier.
How long does it typically take?
into One Extra Deep (12") S and S Hard Case.
- Disassembly and packing of this bike takes about 30-40 minutes once a packing method has been established and it has been practiced a few times.
- Reassembly including unpacking takes about 45-60 minutes. I make a photographic record of each step so I can refer to it if needed.
- In a hurry? The times given above are very conservative. Frequent travelers should be able to reduce these times significantly.
Place the front frame section with fork attached in the case.
Place the front wheel in the case. Tilt the wheel so it is down on the side opposite fork. This makes room for the wide part of the rear frame section. (Place a piece of hose slit lengthwise down one side over the frame tubes for protection in case they come in contact with the hub)
Place the rear frame section as shown. (Be sure to use a slit hose to protect the frame where the frame tube contacts the hub)
Place a seat and three loose tubes in the open area between the seat stays.
Place the captains handlebars as shown. It may be necessary to rotate the front wheel so the opening in the spokes will allow the handlebar drops to pass through. There shouldn't be any force against the spokes when the bars are in the correct position. Also place the second seat as shown.
Place the stoker handlebars and small items such as cranks and pedals in any open area as shown. (S
Place the rear wheel on top. To close the lid it is necessary to work the tire into the lid as it is closed.
Protect your bike
- Use S and S tube covers or other suitable material to prevent minor scratches.
- Use additional packing material between frame tubes and objects which could dent or scratch them such as an axle, freewheel or another frame tube. A heavy rubber hose slit lengthwise and placed under the tube cover works good.
- Always use 3 or 4 S and S compression members with a hard case to reduce the possibility of damage due to careless handling. When this bike is packed there is no pressure on the bike from the case. The compression members are taller than the packed bike so they protect the bike if something is stacked or dropped on the face of the case.
- Wrap all small items in rags or other suitable packing material to prevent them from rattling and scratching other parts.
Not all tandems can or should be packed using this technique. Some experimentation is typically required to develop a suitable packing method . This packing sequence is offered only as an illustration of what can be done.
See this tandem fully assembled
Framebuilder list |
Retailer list |
Retrofit or new? |
S and S Machine's Home Page